I drove back through the blizzard (which was improving) to Woman's & Babies for my "Outpatient Services". First on the list was the ultrasound and next was blood work. I'm not sure which one I was more nervous about.
The technician quickly called me in for the ultrasound. The room was dimly lit and the bed was really comfortable, covered in real honest to goodness sheets instead of paper ones. The technician was very kind and spoke quietly. She made my nervousness completely disappear. She started the ultrasound and told me she'd be looking at the monitor for a while to check everything out and make sure everything was well. She told me she would move the monitor so I could see it later when she focused on "the pregnancy". She must have used the term "the pregnancy" four of five times. It occurred to me that she probably used that term instead of "the fetus" or "the baby" because they probably come across a lot of situations that are bad, where there is a problem. So I just tried to remain positive. Eventually when she found "the pregnancy", she moved the monitor so I could see. It was a really surreal feeling. She showed me the outline of the fetus, the head, the body, the little fins that would develop into arms and legs. It was so strange. I thought I might cry, but I didn't. I was in awe of my own body, I think. What a miracle. She told me the heartbeat was a strong 160 beats per minute and that everything looks good. She said I was approximately 7 weeks & 5 days. She put my due date around October 16. She made a quick call to my doctor and then handed the phone to me. My doctor said everything appears to be good and I should not be concerned. I still had to do the blood work but then I was done. She told me congratulations. I think I was in a fog. The technician handed me 3 print-outs of the ultrasound, with images of my little developing fetus.
The technician brought me back to the lobby where I was to wait until someone came for me to do my blood work. I became nervous again because it's always hard to find a vein in me. Getting blood from me is always a huge challenge and usually involves 5 or 6 painful needle sticks. I tried to pass the time by texting Doug and my best friend about the ultrasound. I looked at the images of the ultrasound again and again. I decided the fetus was roughly the same size and appearance as a candy Sour Patch Kid. I had some at home which is probably why I thought of it. The candies have big heads and small bodies with barley noticeable arms. That's it. Sour Patch Kid.
The technician quickly called me in for the ultrasound. The room was dimly lit and the bed was really comfortable, covered in real honest to goodness sheets instead of paper ones. The technician was very kind and spoke quietly. She made my nervousness completely disappear. She started the ultrasound and told me she'd be looking at the monitor for a while to check everything out and make sure everything was well. She told me she would move the monitor so I could see it later when she focused on "the pregnancy". She must have used the term "the pregnancy" four of five times. It occurred to me that she probably used that term instead of "the fetus" or "the baby" because they probably come across a lot of situations that are bad, where there is a problem. So I just tried to remain positive. Eventually when she found "the pregnancy", she moved the monitor so I could see. It was a really surreal feeling. She showed me the outline of the fetus, the head, the body, the little fins that would develop into arms and legs. It was so strange. I thought I might cry, but I didn't. I was in awe of my own body, I think. What a miracle. She told me the heartbeat was a strong 160 beats per minute and that everything looks good. She said I was approximately 7 weeks & 5 days. She put my due date around October 16. She made a quick call to my doctor and then handed the phone to me. My doctor said everything appears to be good and I should not be concerned. I still had to do the blood work but then I was done. She told me congratulations. I think I was in a fog. The technician handed me 3 print-outs of the ultrasound, with images of my little developing fetus.
The technician brought me back to the lobby where I was to wait until someone came for me to do my blood work. I became nervous again because it's always hard to find a vein in me. Getting blood from me is always a huge challenge and usually involves 5 or 6 painful needle sticks. I tried to pass the time by texting Doug and my best friend about the ultrasound. I looked at the images of the ultrasound again and again. I decided the fetus was roughly the same size and appearance as a candy Sour Patch Kid. I had some at home which is probably why I thought of it. The candies have big heads and small bodies with barley noticeable arms. That's it. Sour Patch Kid.

Eventually, a nurse came out to get me for my blood work. She was an older woman and I was thankful for that. At least she'd have experience on her side. I explained my difficulties and she said she was unconcerned. She told me I'd be fine. To my delight, she was right. She found a vein on the first try and it gave her 3 full tubes of blood. This never happens to me! I was thrilled. I told her I could kiss her. She told me the blood work was for something called an RH test. It would determine if my blood was RH negative or positive. Something about if my blood is negative and the baby's is positive then there could be a problem. I'm not entirely clear on all the details. I sat for a while to make sure I felt okay and eventually I left.
Thank you, God, that my blood test was easy and everything went well with the ultrasound. It was a surreal experience.