It's been almost a week since my intake appointment when the nurse asked me to have blood work done in a week, so I decided I better take care of that. I've been dreading this since I am afraid I won't get the same person as last time and I'll become a pin cushion. I decided to go tonight after work since they're open until 6:00 pm. I left the office at 5:00 exactly. I arrived at Outpatient Services at 5:20. I didn't leave to go home until 6:30.
My first nurse seemed very unsure of herself, she was pressing around my arm so deeply I thought she'd leave black and blue marks. She complained that she couldn't find anything. She tried both arms and eventually attempted something on my left arm. She missed. There was nothing there. She called another nurse. This nurse was much friendlier and seemed more sure of herself. She felt all over both arms and hands before attempting anything. She didn't feel anything strong enough. She suggested we try the veins at the base of my wrist. This scared me a little because nobody had ever done this before, no matter how desperate to find a vein they've been. I agreed to it since she said it was fine. She tried both my wrists. She couldn't get anything more than a couple drips. She tried the top of my hand. Again, a couple drips. The first nurse came back, she tried another spot. No luck. I wanted to get this done and overwith, so I suggested they keep trying. I tried to be a good sport. Eventually, several sticks later, they gave up. They asked me to come back tomorrow. Tomorrow the woman will be on duty who was able to get me last time in one try. The nurses were both very friendly and apologized for not being able to get anything. Of course, I told them it's not their fault, it's my veins, and how they're hidden so deep. They gave me juice and left me sit for a bit while they cleaned up to close up for the night. My arms ached, my wrists ached, and even the top of my hand ached. I felt so bad. I know it's out of my contrul but I felt so bad. I just wanted to cry.
When I got home I was plesantly surprised to see that Doug stopped at a supermarket out of our way (Elizabethtown) to find the popsicles I've been craving for a week now. We couldn't find them at any grocery stores in our area, but I heard from my boss that they had them at Darrenkamps. Doug stopped on his way home from work at a Darrenkamps, and bought me two boxes of Banana popsycles. They're exactly what I needed. It's all I could eat tonight. My stomach is so upset. I cried and cried tonight. Upset about my wrists and how they hurt, and about not being able to give blood for the blood tests. This hormonal stuff is really annoying.