Ever since I saw the ultra sound on Monday, I've been just dying to tell everyone. I know that it's still really early and I know there are still plenty of risks, but I just want to blab to everyone. After talking to Doug, we decided that instead of telling everyone, maybe we could start with just telling our parents. Maybe a few close friends after that. We decided to tell the parents this weekend.
We've been talking about it all week, how we're going to tell them, how they're going to react, all that stuff. We talked about buying something that says "World's Best Grandparents" and giving it to them and making them wonder, or guess. We talked about just casually dropping it in conversation, and seeing how they react. We're pretty sure that both sets of parents are going to be over the moon excited.
This morning finally arrived and after resting and relaxing for most of the morning, we decided to head out to my parent's house around 3. I gave up on the idea of taking a prop or a gift along because I couldn't find the right thing and I was starting to get really, really anxious/nervous. At the last minute we decided not to call ahead because we thought that one of us might tip them off. So we just showed up.
My mom answered the door and seemed surprised to see us (of course). She had been baking a cake and had just put it in the oven. Dad was not home. I covered quickly saying how we were running errands and were in the area and wondered if we could have dinner together. She wasn't sure when Dad would be home but encouraged us to come in and hang out for a bit. Nausea quickly hit me and I had to excuse myself. Must have been the nerves. I wasn’t sure what to do since Dad wasn't there. We couldn't just tell her without Dad. I panicked. How would we leave now? I didn't know what to do. After sitting in the kitchen and chatting for a while, the garage door went up and Dad was home. Perfect!
He was surprised to see us, too, but chatted with us for a while and eventually we all moved into the family room. As the conversation lulled, I announced the news. I think I said something about how we had some news we wanted to share and when they got really quiet, I said that we're going to have a baby. Dad didn't skip a beat, he jumped up out of his chair and hugged me. He teared up right away. Mom sat next to me and was very quiet. She put her hand on my leg and said something about how very happy she was. She commented how we brought her some much needed sunshine. I think she processes her emotions different. She had a huge smile on her face, but she was quiet. There were some questions then, about how far along we are, and when we're due. I showed them the ultrasound images, and we talked about how this will change our lives. Mom commented that she was 31 when she was pregnant for the first time. I didn't realize that. That's kind of cool. We talked for a while longer, and when the pound cake came out of the oven, Mom sliced us each a piece. After a while we said we should go and head over to the Snell's to tell them the news.
We owed the Snell's a check for our vacation in June, so Doug called and said we were in the area and we wanted to bring the check over. They were both home, and said that Doug's sister and her family were coming over soon as well. Perfect!
When we got to the Snell's they let us in and quickly we were absorbed in the chatter of the day. Chris showed me some new linens she purchased for her bed, and told me her plans to make new curtains. Doug sat in the family room with his Dad talking about computers…or something. We chatted about all the goings on of the neighborhood (their neighbor got a Dog) and things like that. Chris talked to me from across the room while Doug talked to his Dad. For a while I didn't think we were going to find a lull in the conversation and I didn't know what I would do. Would I have to blow a whistle? I don't know if I interrupted or what I did, but I finally somehow stopped the conversation and said "Well, before Jamie and Alison arrive, we have something we'd like to talk to you about". I looked at Doug thinking he was going to share the news, but he just nodded at me. So I blurted it out "We're going to have a baby". Chris had the best response! She jumped out of her chair like it was spring loaded and said "Holy Shit, no you're not". She looked like she was coming over to hug me but then she stopped in the middle of the room, looked at Doug Sr. and said how she had just said something about how God works in mysterious ways. She seemed like she was stuck, in shock or something. It was really endearing. I finally met her half way and hugged her. She sat back down then and said how she was just talking to our jeweler, Ray, about us. He had asked if we had children. She told him no, and he was so surprised. She told us that she responded that God works in mysterious ways. Around this time I realized we hadn't heard a peep from Doug Sr. so I looked in his direction. He's a little slower to react, I think he was still processing. After a bit he said that he wasn't surprised, that he thought this would be coming soon. When I asked him how he predicted that which nobody else could, he said that he "just knew". After a few moments passed he did say "wow" a couple times.
Chris was very anxious now, asking all kinds of questions. I showed both of them the ultrasound and explained how far along we are. After a while one of us wondered out loud where Jamie and Alison were. Chris said we should call them, but she couldn't call, she would give it away, she was too excited. This was very cute to watch, because she seemed to actually be sitting on her hands. She kept saying things like "a baby", "there's going to be a baby". Doug Sr. called Alison and we heard they were on the way but were still a while out. We were hungry, so we asked if we could get dinner. The Snell's offered to get pizza and a sandwich for everyone to share. The Doug's went to get it.
Around the time we finished eating, the Baxter's arrived. Jamie, Alison, Nathan, and Nicolas. We wrapped up our food and sat around talking with everyone. If I thought it was hard to find a lull in the conversation before - that was nothing. I had no idea how we were going to sort this out. Eight people in one room? No way. I don't know how he did it, but Doug found a quiet moment and cleared his throat. Then he asked Nathan and Nicholas if they'd soon be old enough and responsible enough to baby-sit their baby cousin. The boys looked at each other, confused. Then they looked at their mom, who also looked confused. "Which baby cousin?" someone asked. Then I don't even remember if it was Doug or I or where it came from, but we told them we were having a baby and they were going to have a baby cousin. Alison and Jamie congratulated us, and asked the usual questions about when we're due and such. I shared the ultrasound images with everyone, even the boys, who I think didn't quite know what to look for. We asked them if they wanted a boy or a girl cousin and they both shrugged. Eventually they went downstairs to play pinball and we all talked some more. Everyone was very excited. Jamie and Alison talked to me a lot about their experiences with both Nathan and Nicolas. I think I was just too young back then to have been involved. It was really interesting to hear what it was like for them.
Around 9:00, exhaustion set in and I was about to fall asleep sitting still, so I rounded up Doug and we headed out. What a day, we were filled with excitement.