Monday, April 13, 2009

We're home!

Had a fantastic time in Ohio, it was fun to spend time with everyone to have everyone treat me like royalty as a pregnant woman (eat up, you're eating for two! - no, you take the comfortable chair, etc.). Easter Sunday we had delicious food as always and I loaded up. Easter evening we had a bonfire at Joel's place complete with burgers, dogs and sausages. I had a burger and of course several smores.

Doug would probably point out that we had to stop a couple more times than normal on the drive for bathroom breaks. I know the baby isn't big enough to be pressing on my bladder or anything, but all the books say that hormonal changes are causing me to urinate more often. So, yes, we stopped 3 times on the way out and again on the way back. Normally I can get by with one or two stops maximum for the 6 hour drive. At our first stop on the way out I picked up a bag of chips and a candy bar. I also got a water and a decaf Starbucks. Really healthy stuff. I ate the candy bar with my coffee. Obviously I wasn't thinking when I picked up the candy bar. I don't think I've mentioned anything about it here on the blog, but chocolate hasn't tasted quite the same since I've been pregnant. I don't know how to explain it. I still want chocolate, but when I taste it, it's just not the same sensation or texture as I'm used to. I didn't really enjoy the candy bar, but I shared it with Doug and he seemed pretty happy with that. Later in the journey, around 2:00 or so, we crossed into West Virginia and were stopped in traffic. Cars were moving every now and then, but it was practically a stand still. This is when I decided to break into the chips and the bottled water. I shared with Doug but I ate most of the chips. Then, as we continued to sit in traffic I started to feel my stomach gurgling. This was not good. I knew I was going to need a bathroom - fast, but we were barley moving and there were no exits in sight. Thankfully I was able to hold on long enough to make it through the traffic and we exited at the big Cabela's exit just inside WVA. Doug made a split decision and went to a Quiznos so I could use the bathroom to get sick and he could get a sandwich. He ordered me a fruit punch which tasted good but I didn't want to drink anything too fast after getting sick. After 15 minutes or so we were back on our way. We arrived around 5:30 and had a late dinner with the family.

All weekend I enjoyed excellent food with no sickness. I'll admit I had a couple moments where I thought I might lose it, but I was able to keep it together and not throw up at all through the weekend.

We headed home Monday after a big breakfast with the "extended" family at Bob Evans. Everything was delicious but I didn't want to overdo it and be sick in the car. About 2 hours into the drive I had a strong craving for sweets. I wanted candy and I wanted it fast! I saw an exit ahead that had a Sheetz convenience store so I asked Doug to stop. They didn't have the candy I wanted (Spree) but I got a box of Mike & Ikes instead and some Necco wafers. I also bought a Sprite for the drive. After about a half hour of popping candy and sipping Sprite, I started to feel really queasy. I stopped eating and put everything out of sight. I had a couple moments where I thought I'd be sick but somehow I composed myself. Whew. The rest of the drive was pretty uneventful and Doug let me catch up on my sleep for a while. We stopped at my parent's house to pick up the dog and cat and my mom had made us a good dinner and fresh baked cookies.

While I miss being with everyone out in Ohio, I have to admit, it's good to be home. Back to work tomorrow.